Saturday, January 11, 2014

Even writers..

The life of a writer is a fickle one. We still have to make a living even when we're not elbows deep into a magical wold. And we still have to go places.This morning my wife and I were leaving for work- just like usual. It was the weekend, so it was slower traffic than usual. But still, as usual I leave about a half an hour early- you never really know… 

How right I really was.. driving down the road, heavy rain pelted against my windshield, the type that no matter what setting you put your wipers on it never seems to serve any purpose to the drenching down pour. I swerved around numerous downed branches and pine leaves- the evidence that no one was really out and around this morning at all. There were places that didn't have power, looking as though they were just as abandoned as the road I was driving on. This should have all been screaming evidence that something was going to go wrong, as it always did. You would think I would have learned to see this by now- 26 years still proves that I haven't had a lot of experience in the matter of going anywhere; no matter how many hours I have spent behind the wheel. 
 I come across a stopped police car; apparently left as a barrier- I could see it before I even got there, the only light flashing from red and blue against the speed limit signs, I stopped for a second, wondering what my next move was going to be. Until I saw a truck come from between the flare on the road and between the cop car- he stood still, and irresolute. Thinking that it must be what they want us to do, because why would I want to go around like a normal person, right? 
I was very wrong. Just about when I passed his bumper he pulled out in front of me. I heard a screech, a door slam and a angry man with jelled down hair came over to my car looking so mad that he could bust. Demanding what might have been going through my head driving over flares. Now, sitting here writing this out definitely makes one think to why in the world I did decide to do that. I could have done serious harm to my car, but the other guy did…
So after handing him my drivers license, I thought to myself what type of ticket I would actually have gotten, he even mentioned, " Doing this would get you a very large ticket.." I am wondering if I will hear back from that nice police man in one way or another. If I do I know for sure I will not have a friendly letter asking if I made it to the place i was going safely.. 
 For now it reminded me that common sense is very important in times like that, you have to make sure you're not following blindly to other people- who wants to live their live like that? And in truth me doing that could have gotten me into serious trouble with the Pacific North West Police force, luckily I did manage to get away smoothly- lesson learned.. 


No comments:

Post a Comment